99. Should we consider family counseling to help family members deal with a child/sibling with a disability?

Many resources exist to help families cope when a family member faces a disability. Some communities have support groups for various disabilities which offer seminars and libraries for members. Another option to consider is family counseling using a counselor who specializes in family counseling and disabilities. Keep in mind that the focus of the counseling may change over the years.

At first, sessions may focus on helping parents and siblings understand and accept the diagnosis. Later sessions may show parents how to advocate for their child(ren). As children and siblings get older, a discussion about how the disability affects the life of the family may be helpful. As a multiple, your children may have questions about why one or more of them have ongoing challenges and others do not; in addition, they may have difficulty negotiating peer acceptance in a school setting especially in the preteen years. Families must decide what the expectations of siblings are in terms of caring for the disabled child.




A good place to start is to ask your family physician for a referral or talk to other parents of special needs multiples on the MOST Special Needs Forum.

See MOST's FREE sample article on advocacy.

See articles available on special needs in the MOST Supertwins Store

Read articles on special needs multiples on the MOST Stories from the Heart blog

Please Note:
MOST provides these FAQs for informational purposes and cautions visitors not to use the content below to make treatment decisions without personally consulting a qualified health care provider. Reuse of this content without proper citation is a violation of copyright. To obtain permission to use Supertwins 101 content contact MOST.


Supertwins FAQ 101 Categories

Close Window

Copyright 2005    Updated 7/26/10