98. What is respite care? How do I know if I am eligible?

Respite care is short-term temporary care for a disabled child (ren). The purpose is to give the caregiver a break and time away. Accessing respite care can be difficult, but not impossible. Eligibility is usually based on income and/or the nature of the disability. If your child is involved with an Early Intervention program, they may be able to provide information about respite care in your area since programs vary by state.

You can also contact your state’s Department of Mental Health, Department of Health and Human Services, or a local ARC chapter for information. Many disability-based support groups, such as the Autism Society of America or the United Cerebral Palsy Association, have information on respite care. In some cases, the respite care applies only to the disabled child (ren) and will not provide childcare for siblings, so as a parent of multiples, be sure to discuss sibling care in advance.




The ARC website explains respite care in detail.

For additional questions and resources you may want to join MOST's Special Needs Forum for MOST members.

Please Note:
MOST provides these FAQs for informational purposes and cautions visitors not to use the content below to make treatment decisions without personally consulting a qualified health care provider. Reuse of this content without proper citation is a violation of copyright. To obtain permission to use Supertwins 101 content contact MOST.


Supertwins FAQ 101 Categories

Close Window

Copyright 2005    Updated 7/26/10