95. What is an IEP? How does it differ from a 504 Plan?

When a child with a disability attends school and requires accommodations, two different plans may be used. First, if a child requires only reasonable accommodations, this would fall under Section 504 and is often called a “504" plan. Generally, this means that a child has a disability, but is able to meet classroom objectives. A 504 plan is a written document that outlines what accommodations the child requires.

If, however, a child requires specialized instruction due to their disability, they fall under the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) and are given an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). This is a legal document that describes the disability and outlines what specialized instructions and accommodations are required.




For further information about IEPs and 504 plans review the University of Washington website.

MOST offers a variety of articles on spcial needs multiples in the MOST Supertwins Library and on the MOST Stories from the Heart Blog.

MOST members can also be part of the MOST Special Needs forum.


Please Note:
MOST provides these FAQs for informational purposes and cautions visitors not to use the content below to make treatment decisions without personally consulting a qualified health care provider. Reuse of this content without proper citation is a violation of copyright. To obtain permission to use Supertwins 101 content contact MOST.


Supertwins FAQ 101 Categories

Close Window

Copyright 2005     Updated 7/26/10